Tbeti, Cathedral of Holy Apostles
|Location:||Tbeti (current Jevizli), Artvin Province, Savsat|
|Dedication:||Holy Apostles, St. George (later)|
|Type:||Domed Church, Croix Libre|
|Renovation/Reconstruction:||960s, 990s, 1020s (after 1028), 13th c., 14th c., 16th c.|
|Layers of the Murals:||Two layers|
An eight-segment church must have been built in the 960s on the site of the episcopal cathedral established by Erist’avt’ Erist’av Ashot Kukh around 918. By the end of the 10th century, it was transformed into a type of church close to croix-libre; walls of this church were partly dressed anew prior to 1028. The church underwent substantial alteration in the following centuries: the southern arm was restored in the 13th century; the dome – in the 14th century; the bell-tower was built around 1527. The church was badly damaged as a result of explosion in 1961; the dome and the upper parts of the arms were destroyed. Presently, archaeological excavations are conducted in the church.