Mravaldzali, Church of St. George
|Location:||Mravaldzali, Oni Municipality|
|Type:||Domed Church, Croix Inscrite/Cross-in-square|
|Date/Period:||Early 11th century|
|Renovation/Reconstruction:||1894; Destroyed during April 1991 earthquake; Restored in 2007-2009|
|Layers of the Murals:||One layer|
Early 11th-century small-size single-nave church was rebuilt as a large domed structure in 1894.
Four asomtavruli lapidary inscriptions of the eleventh century have been preserved on the east façade of the church and the bell-tower annexed on the west. They are largely commemorative (one of the inscriptions mentions stonemason Iovane) and does not provide any direct account about construction of the church. The date of renovation and alteration of the church – 1894 – is carved out on the south window of the bell-tower.